Social Media, Speaking and Podcasts, Publications and Books
Create Facebook posts about my nature adventures which attract as many as 100 comments and multiple shares. Developed six websites using WordPress. Earlier in my career I managed development of a popular astronomy website, Sky & Telescope.
- India Wood, naturalist on Facebook
- Denver allosaurus on Facebook
- Nancy Wood Literary Trust
Public Speaking and Podcasts
- Speaker, Boulder and Boulder Valley Rotary Clubs, “Views from the Colorado Beeline”, 2021
- Backpacker Radio podcast #84, “India Wood on Her Colorado Transect Hike”, 2020
- Colorado Mountain Club, “Planning a Transect Hike” online presentation, 2020
- Denver Museum of Nature and Science (DMNS), online presentation to 200 DMNS volunteers and staff, 2020
- Dinosaur Ridge Girl Scouts Day presenter, 350 attendees, 2018
- NPR affiliate podcast The Girl Who Dug up Dinosaurs, 2016
- Keynote speaker and innovation awards presenter at national trade shows
- International Art Materials Association, 2015, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
- The National Needle Arts Association 2016, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003
- Boston University School of Management, guest lecturer in marketing, 2000, 2001
- Amateur Telescope Makers of Boston astronomy events for schoolchildren 2000–2002
- Fountain Valley School commencement speaker, 1997
Going Diagonal: Hiking My Own Path across a Right-Angled America
I have completed the first draft of a travel memoir about my 732-mile backpacking journey across Colorado from the southeast to northwest corners in 2020, a year of divisiveness. I refused the national structure of right angles, of driving north, south, east, or west, and instead mapped my own trail northwest through ranches and on roads. I wandered across geographies our culture enforces as separate: liberal or conservative, rancher or conservationist, urban or rural, public land or private. A bear considered my tent a buffet. Trails on maps did not exist. A farmer stole my water cache. But always, new friends helped me along my journey.
I am seeking a literary agent for this complete 88,000-word coming-of-age memoir as an unparented teenager who digs up a dinosaur on a friend’s Colorado ranch. The fossilized bones are both a possible museum display and ticket to the profession of paleontology, but I wanted more than that.
Hold on to What Is Good: The Selected Poems of Nancy Wood
As my mother’s literary trustee I selected the poems and wrote the bio for this posthumous collection. Nancy’s eight poetry books sold more than 200,000 copies worldwide. I am currently seeking a publisher for this work.
I produced 15 industry studies published by F&W Media, Interweave Press, and trade associations. As the president of Hart Business Research from 2003 through 2016 I conducted surveys and interviews, analyzed data, wrote reports, and subcontracted editors and graphic designers. Developed publication launch plans that included events, social media, web pages, e-newsletters, and print mail. Studies consisted of professionally-designed and edited market summaries, consumer and retailer survey reports, e-news articles, and web pages.
- NAMTA Artists & Art Materials Study 2015, 2012, 2009; International Art Materials Trade Association (NAMTA)
- The State of Specialty NeedleArts 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2005; The National NeedleArts Association (TNNA)
- Sewing in America 2016, 2006; F+W Media
- Scrubs Market Study 2014, Uniform Retailers Association
- Interweave Creative Markets 2011, Interweave Press
- Craft Artists, Income, and the U.S. Economy 2011, Craft Artist Development Association
- The Stamp Collector Survey 2007, American Philatelic Society
- The State of Beading in the USA 2004, Interweave Press
- Two articles in Yarn Market News magazine
- Seven articles and series of 25 market insights for NAMTA e-News, 2009–2013
- Series of 25 market insights for TNNA e-News, 2016