I am a writer, digital content producer, and researcher.
I grew up in Colorado Springs, CO. My father was a photographer and my mother a writer, but I was raised by a dinosaur named Alice. In 1984 I went east and earned a BA in English literature at Dartmouth College. I then managed marketing for print and digital publishers in Boston for ten years and got an MBA from MIT so the boys would take me seriously. My husband, two kids, and I returned to Colorado in 2002. I founded Hart Business Research and produced national studies of creative markets until 2017.
I now write creative nonfiction, serve on the board of Wildlands Restoration Volunteers, and manage my mother’s literary trust. Look for me in the mornings and late afternoons along the Boulder foothills, where I hike with my dog, build scale models of the solar system, and hunt for whimsical rocks.
- English Literature B.A., Dartmouth College, 1988
- MBA, MIT Sloan School of Management, Cambridge, MA, 1996
- Authored 10 national business studies, several magazine articles, and five websites. (See below.)
- Trustee of the Nancy Wood Literary Trust. Nancy was a noted poet, writer, and photographer.
- Write the Denver Allosaurus page on Facebook, attracting thousands of likes.
- Member of The Author’s Guild and Lighthouse Writers Workshop.
- Writing coach is Laura Pritchett, recipient of the PEN USA Award for Fiction.
- Completed workshops in 2013-2015 on the hero’s journey, scenes, editing, and advanced novel; and seminars in 2014 on scenes, dialogue, story, plot, and endings at the Lighthouse Writers Workshop in Denver.
- International marketing manager at Houghton Mifflin Co. (1989-93) and digital product manager at Sky and Telescope magazine (2000-2002).
The Dinosaur’s Daughter is my memoir as an unqualified young woman who set out to dig up a dinosaur on a remote Colorado ranch and in the process discovers myself. My desert adventure as a budding paleontologist encountered scientific joy, romance, a sexist boss, and eccentric cowboys. My dinosaur is now the centerpiece of the Denver Museum of Nature and Science (DMNS), seen by 1.7 million visitors a year. The manuscript is complete and 79,000 words.
Websites and social media
Developed five websites using WordPress. Write the Facebook page for the allosaurus, attracting a few thousand likes.
- Denver allosaurus on Facebook
- NancyWood.com, including monthly e-newsletter
- HartBusinessResearch.com (2003-2016)
Produced 10 national industry studies from 2003 to 2016 as president of Hart Business Research. Managed market research, subcontracted editors and graphic designers, collaborated with client staff, wrote reports, gave presentations, and developed publication launch plans that included events, social media, webpages, email, and mail.
- The State of Specialty NeedleArts (TNNA)
- NAMTA Artists & Art Materials Study
- Sewing in America (F+W)
- Interweave Creative Markets
- Also wrote articles in Yarn Market News, TNNA News, NAMTA News.
- Keynote presenter at national trade shows (2003-2016)
- KRCC radio podcast 3/18/16: The Girl Who Dug up Dinosaurs
- Classroom presenter about dinosaurs to grades K-5 (1984-ongoing)
- Assisted paleontology collections manager at DMNS with correcting specimen labels (2016-2017).
- Researched and wrote scientific paper, “The Paleontology of a Late Jurassic Microfossil Site”, Dartmouth College (1986). Discovered rare Upper Jurassic fossils which are now at Harvard and DMNS.
- Wildlands Restoration Volunteers board member and volunteer 2015-ongoing
- Boulder Valley School District classroom and school volunteer 2003-2017
- Boulder Valley Rotary Club member 2003-2013, board member 2004-2006
- Association for Community Living board member, volunteer with adults with developmental disabilities 2003-2006